I've Got the Music In Me

Tonight in the car on the way to pick up Annalisse from work, ELO's Living Thing came on the radio. I was swept back to my bedroom on Roosevelt Street by this song that reminded me so much of my teen years when I would listen to the radio all night long. To think of that now is amazing, seeing I am the type of person who has to have absolute quiet when I sleep. Looking back I know now that I really wasn't sleeping very soundly in those days with my favorite songs seeping into my subconcious all night long. I remember waking up many times a night savoring one song or another on Chez 106 out of Ottawa or CHOM out of Montreal. It think I may have talked in the past about the Canadian influences on music as I was growing up, and once in a while at work I will listen to Q107 out of Toronto, which plays all that great Canadian rock that I grew up with.

As an aside, one aggravating aspect of growing up in the 70s was that most music (not listened to on the radio) came in the form of 8-track tapes (cassette tapes did not really become popular until a little later when they overtook the 8-track, which was in turn overtaken by CDs, which was taken over by .mp3s...but I digress). "8-tracks," as they were called, had the annoying habit of "changing tracks" mid-song where the song would fade, you'd hear a loud "click-click," and the song would fade back in and resume. Two standouts come to mind: Going to California by Led Zepplin (on their untitled fourth album) and Vienna by Billy Joel (from The Stanger); both awesome songs forever burned into my mind with a "click-click" in the middle that I still anticipate to this day every time I hear them.

So, yes, the music is in me, even if I wasn't fully awake to hear it and even if it's remembered fondly in the form of old technology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move