Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Saturday, January 26, 2008
Why is it that every house we have moved into (this is our third, and our second "old" house) has rooms and rooms of wallpaper that I hate and can't wait to get off? ~that's a rhetorical question - don't bother trying to answer. There is nothing like a freshly painted room that can be repainted when the mood strikes a couple of years down the line. So, this week begins my (new) quest to get some of that wallpaper off these walls and move onto the cornflower, moss, taupe, and light maroon walls I so desperately crave.
Our bedroom and the living/dining room is covered with a textured bamboo wallpaper that is great at hiding flaws and dirt but not so great at looking modern. Our room, especially, has wallpaper that is dark gold and so dingy it looks like it's been exposed to smoking for years (it hasn't, but sure looks like it). I've had a couple of experienced wallpaper people come over to look at it, and all recommend painting over it rather than trying to get it off. There has to be better way!!! So, on Monday, another wallpaper "expert" will come take a look and hopefully give us some good news.
We also want to get Annalisse's girly wallpaper off so she and Cameron can switch rooms. She's wanted "out" of her room for quite a while because she gets a little freaked out being near the attic stairs (such a chicken). Her requests have gotten more frequent since two bat visits this past summer sealed that deal.
Some people really love wallpaper, but everywhere I look I see a little peeling at the seams, dirty smudges, and outdated designs. Thereby I am forced to declare that wallpaper is The First Most Terrible Invention Ever.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
- A recap of my Pride & Prejudice get together on Saturday - a bunch of chicks sitting around watching the 5-hour BBC movie starring Colin Firth (the ONE, the ONLY, Mr. Darcy). Screening starts at 11am and ends at 5pm. High tea break at 2:30pm. Let me know if you'd like to drop by!
- My brother-in-law and his wife are expecting their first baby within the week. They are currently living in Turkey (the country, not the meat). Come, cousin, come!
- Groundhogs Day - hands down, the most anticipated holiday of the year for winter-haters.
- Jasper will be 9 months on on Monday. He weighs 48.6 pounds now, still on the small side for a male Golden.
So, check back for these and other (hopefully) exciting events on the Baker Blog!
Saturday, January 12, 2008
But that's not what I'm talking about here when I talk about cooking being one of my least favorite things to do. I'm talking about getting home at 5:00pm to two hungry kids who want one of the following items:
- Tacos (Cameron)
- Fettuccine Alfredo (both kids)
- Homemade Mac-n-cheese (Cameron), or
- Tuna Melts (both kids)
It's at this time that my worst cooking skills emerge. Make it quick! Eat it fast! -YUCK. Attempts to make "good food" during the week are met with protests (from the junior members of the family) and disgusted looks on their faces, as they pull out the cereal to have while we enjoy our chicken french.
No wonder we like to eat out so much!!