The Year of "Lasts"

I've written about this along the way, but this is definitely a year of "lasts" as the parent of a senior in high school. It seems like every activity we took for granted over Cam's high school years is happening with heightened nostalgia this year.

This past weekend was Cam's "last" Robotics competition at RIT. While they still have the DC competition near the end of March, I think back to two years ago when Ma Bell visited for the weekend with Tim and Lisa to bring Lauren, her granddaughter, to attend the competition. I wrote about that weekend here. These are bittersweet memories for me since her passing in December.

This year's "lasts" also includes other things happening around the high school. A great example is the FHS musical we attended last night that featured many of the kids we have been seeing in plays for years, and who have travelled all the grades with Cam. Of course, I'm not alone as all us parents lament how quickly time has flown.

As Cam's high school career winds down (three months left), there will be a bunch more "lasts" along the way that will culminate with his graduation party. While he's not crazy about the idea of a graduation party, to me it represents a chance for all of us, family and friends, to spend a little time with him before he moves on, and congratulate him on a "job well done." (We hope. Senioritis has kicked in full-force and I'm just praying he puts forth enough effort to pass his courses!!)

The graduation party is THE major milestone that should not, in my opinion, be discarded because, as a cave-dwelling creature (which he's been most of this year, his bedroom being the center of his technological universe) he just doesn't "want to have one." Its meaning is bigger, and it's something that I probably need more than he does - although he always ends up having a ton of fun in spite of himself. It reminds me of when we went to have his senior picture taken, and the photographer said, "Just remember: this day is about one person and one person only: your mother. And after that, it will be about your wife." That's sort of the way it is with the graduation party!

Just don't make me watch Toy Story 3 again. I couldn't even take it the first time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move