Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles!

Today is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. Amazing!

I've never understood people who say that a) they don't like The Beatles - some even say "The Beatles suck"- and/or b) they don't think The Beatles are that big a deal. Unfathomable to me.

For the relatively short time they produced music as a band (1960-1970) their library, depth, and breadth of music is astounding. It always amazes me to listen to their catchy early stuff (seemly simplistic, but pretty cutting edge for the time), contrasted with the complex and rich sound that came later. Admittedly I like both ends of their musical spectrum...such variety and texture! The era of the Beatles music was truly a snapshot in time, and each member's solo music, while good in some cases (and really bad in others), never added up to the sum of the band's whole parts. Obviously, this is all my opinion, but it would be hard to argue that their influence on music, and pop culture in general, was not significant.

I seriously could listen to Beatles music all day long, and have been fortunate to see LOVE, the Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil featuring Beatles music (twice!). Seeing the show even made a huge fan out of a 15-year-old Annalisse. An amazing show.

(I sure am using the word "amazing" a lot in this post. I guess it just captures the essence of what I am trying to convey.)

I would love to be able to list my favorit Beatles tunes here, but that would be impossible. With a few exceptions, I would be listing upwards of 20-30, or more, songs. I wouldn't consider myself a mega fan; I think I'm just like many others who love and appreciate the music of The Beatles, and can recognize the genius, and the impact, of it. It doesn't hurt that my entire life people have been singing "Hey Jude..." when they meet me for the first (or second, or third) time. There could be worse things.

Funny story: The summer between my junior and senior year in high school I had a moody musician/artistic boyfriend who used to sing "All My Loving" to me ("Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow I'll miss you. Remember I'll always be true..."). He went off to college that fall and a couple of months into his first term he broke up with me. To this day every time I hear "All My Loving" song I silently scream "LIAR!" :)

Thank you John, Paul, George and Ringo for changing our lives 50 years ago.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Long-Awaited-Much-Anticipated Freshman Dance

The Last Dance

The Week that Was