What It Must Be Like To Be a Trucker

My travel season as a "road warrior" concluded today with a trip down to Elmira College. Altogether I attended six fairs this season, and my colleague Tonya did probably 8 or 10...I lose track. Even though I didn't travel too much for recruitment this fall, when I did travel I sure felt wiped out by the end of the day because of all that driving.

Which leads me to believe I could never have a career as a long distance trucker. It was all I could do to stay awake and engaged on the way to Elmira (approx. 2 1/2 hours each way), even with Evita blasting. On the way back it was Jesus Christ Superstar, with white knuckles all the way because of the really bad rainy/snowy rain conditions. I cannot imagine how truckers do it, hour after hour, day after day, week after week, year after year.

Which reminds me of that time in the mid- to late-70s when CB radios were all the rage. I remember my Nonnie saying they were just a fad and would never last. I was sure she was wrong...it turns out she was right. I still remember some of my familie's "handles": I was Animal Cracker, my Uncle Duff was Porkchop, Auntie was "Sweet Caroline. I know we all had one, but I'll be darned if I can remember them now. I remember sitting in the car with friends talking to "truckers," who were probably just other townspeople caught up in the craze. Thanks to the Internet, you can brush up on your trucker slang, and see CW McCall's Convoy video one more time. 10-4 Good Buddy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move