The Signpost Ahead: Middle Age

Yesterday I had some minor surgery for a condition that women often encounter (I won't get into details, it's not that exciting, and I'm sure there are male readers who would be happily spared the clinical diagnosis), and in preparation for the surgery I had to have a shot of estrogen, I think it was, 30 days before the scheduled surgery date.

At the age of 46, I've not yet encountered all those things women who are closing in on menopause seem to suffer. Most prominently: hot flashes. Until the last month, that is. The shot (which amazingly, cost $600) has given me the most extraordinary understanding of hot flashes that I'll be glad to say goodbye to them for a while when the effect of the shot finally wears off (which my doctor said should be in another two weeks or so).

How strange it is to heat up from the inside! To wake up in the middle of the night soaking wet and shivering a the minute you throw off the covers to cool down. To be talking to someone and be standing near a heat source and have to move away. That is one freaky medical phenomenon!

Sometimes I feel younger than my calendar age, and forget that I'm about to enter a new phase of my life. It's a good thing (or a bad thing) we have hot flashes to remind us that time is marching on!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move