A Summer of Growth

We picked the kids up at camp on Friday afternoon knowing that Cameron had only been able to attend the first week of counselor-in-training activities, and that he would miss the second week because he leaves for Europe on Friday (originally, he was supposed to leave on Thursday, so I thought it would probably not be worth it for him to go to the second week of training since he'd have to leave on Wednesday).

Well, when we got there for pick up he and his counselors were trying to figure out a way for him to complete his training this summer so he could move to Jr. Counselor next summer, and be on track to (possibly) be a full-time counselor two years from now (that means he would be gone to camp for FIVE weeks). All of the dates they had suggested for "make-up" did not really work because of overlap from the Europe trip, and I thought Cameron was going to lose it. So, I asked if it would be possible for him to come back this week and leave camp on Thursday...would that fulfill his training requirement? It would! Happy faces all around and Cameron could not get wait to get back to camp on Sunday. We're leave at 10:30am because he has a "staff meeting" at 11:30am, then he's off and running.

I don't think I've ever seen Cameron so excited or into something as he is with camp. Since he's a bit of an introvert I've talked with him about the fact that if he wants to be a counselor he'll have to be comfortable with being goofy and "out there" (not exactly his personality). He assures me he is/will be, and that observation is backed up by his sister who tells me, "He's really different at camp, Mom. He sings and claps his hands and everything!" Hmmm....

So, it's back to camp we go this morning for a Thursday afternoon pickup, leaving enough time for me to wash ALL his clothes so I can put them in his suitcase for Friday morning, when we leave for the airport at 9:45am. I suppose he can sleep on the plane!

The main idea of this long and rambling post is that it feels like Cameron is really on the verge of something...like he's turning a corner that will result in a great deal of personal growth and maturity. It's bittersweet, but a good feeling for a parent, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move