The Would-Be Runner

I would love to be a runner. I've tried to become a runner several times in my life, and most recently through the "Couch to 5K" training program, which has an app that I recently downloaded onto my iPhone. I learned about the program from my friend Kristen who a started it a year ago and is now running marathons (my idol!).

Why running? A couple of reasons:
  • People describe the joy in running and how they really get into their own heads while doing it
  • It's obviously great exercise
  • What a great sense of accomplishment when you finish a marathon!
  • It can benefit the runner (weight loss) and her overweight (or super fluffy looking) dog
Last week, after buying new sneakers for the first time in 10 years, plus an arm holder for my iPhone, I resolved to start the program. The first two sessions went pretty well. I was EXTREMELY SORE after the first night, and was ready again for the second session a couple days later, but had not had a chance to go again until tonight.

So, out I went this evening, and almost immediately I felt a pull in my groin (TMI?) and stopped running, fearing I would do some kind of damage if I kept going (not to mention that it was getting increasingly uncomfortable). I tried a couple more times to jog, and had to stop again.

HOW PATHETIC IS THAT? I can't even succeed at a running program. Walking has always been my favorite activity and maybe I'm just meant to walk. I suppose if I try to walk two miles a day (an activity always made better with my favorite pup) that's better than nothing.

Still, I wish I could run. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move