An Ode To Summer

Summer, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways (not too many original thoughts tonight...)

I love listening to crickets outside the open window on the sleeping porch.
I love to go outside at night, stop, look at the sky and just savor the moment.
I love the chirpy, fighting birds outside my window at 4am (even though I pretend to complain about them).
I love our new fire pit, and crackling fires shared with friends.
I love sleeping with the windows open, even if it's super hot out.
I love having Jasper follow me everywhere when I'm puttering in the yard, pulling out weeds here and there.
I love when the kids are having fun at camp and with their friends, as this is a special time they'll always remember.
I love the fresh fruit and vegtables available the farmer's market, but mostly I love the sticky buns.
I love eating outside with water nearby. It makes me feel like I'm on vacation.
I love vacation days with not a lot planned.
I love thunderstorms, any time of day, but especially at night.
I love wearing no socks from May until October.
I love indulging in the memory of the summers of my youth, spent with friends by the St. Lawrence. They leave me smiling, and a little sad.

In these waning days of summer, I have to remind myself to live in the present, savoring each moment in the weeks to come, as Cam prepares for the next stage in his life, and Annalisse starts an important year in her high school career.

Just to be fair: THINGS I HATE ABOUT SUMMER

I hate the bugs; mosquitoes, flys and the like.
I hate having to work in the summer.

That's about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move