The Morning Ritual

A couple of weeks ago at work we were talking about drinking coffee and tea, and one of my coworkers, a very calm, serene lady, talked about how drinking her morning coffee is like a ritual. I knew exactly what she meant. For me, it's lining up all the little events in a morning that calm and center me for the day, and it goes a little like this:
After the kids are off to school and the dog is walked and taken out ("the World is Jasper's toilet"), I get in my car and go a couple of blocks to the corner gas station where I get my 20 oz cup of Green Mountain Coffee. The mixture is always the same: 1/2 decaf hazelnut and equal parts for the other half, which consist of some combination of Wild Blueberry, Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, and a wildcard flavor (according to the season) like Gingerbread, Southern Pecan, Peach, or Tropical Coconut. [These coffee combinations will probably make some readers gasp in their craziness but they are OH SO YUMMY.]
Then, I come home, pour a little of the coffee into a small glass to make room for my fat-free half and half (and lots of it - I like my coffee "light"). Next, I fire up the computer, put my toast, wheat roll, or "everything" bagel into the toaster oven, and wait. Once the toast (or whatever) is done, I sit down in front of the computer and check my email, my Facebook, and catch up on all the (celebrity and national) news. I also check my bank account and a couple of blogs I read. About 7:30, I head upstairs to finish getting ready for work, then I head out the door.
Variations on the morning ritual might include a trip to Canaltown Roasters in the Village of Pittsford, or a stop at Panera Bread. In either case I bring along some reading material for some calm, quiet time before work.
Does that sound a little OCD to you (especially the coffee mixing part)? Maybe so, but it's the quiet time I need to get ready for the rat race of a day that's usually ahead. And, in case you're wondering, my weekend routine is pretty much the same, except that in nice weather Mark and I walk Jasper down to the corner gas station to get my coffee. That make the routine even better!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move