Have Yourself a Melancholy Christmas

As we enter the season of Advent, and the world "waits" for the happy promise of Christmas, I am reminded how hard this season can be, and will be, for several folks I care very much about. Please keep in your thoughts and prayers our friends and family who are facing devastating loss and health challenges this year:
  • My cousins Lisa, Frank, Joey and their families on the loss of Uncle Joe, and especially Auntie, who has suffered the devastating loss of her husband, her big brother, and now her little brother
  • Barb "Ma" Bell, a woman who is a second mother to me, during her battle with cancer
  • Sue and Ken, and when they can help out, Lisa, and San, who are so willingly and lovingly making Ma Bell so comfortable during her decline in health
  • My coworker, Jo, as she faces yet another surgery after which has been a discouraging and scary year with her health issues
  • Taylor in the loss of her mom, and Hannah in the loss of her dad
  • Our cousin Sue and her family in the loss of John this year
  • Aunt Mary TV, on her health challenges this year
  • And lastly, for my mother with the challenges that come to adjusting to her new life living with my sister, Carol, and for Carol, who has also had some recent heath issues, including emergency appendix surgery. Especially for Carol having to deal with the challenges that come with helping my mother out day-to-day!
I'm sure there are many others who are silently suffering, but you are all in my thoughts, especially at this time of year.

The other day I was reminded of one of my favorite Christmas songs, as sung by the legendary Judy Garland. Judy's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" lends just the right melancholy interpretation for which I believe this song was meant. It's so heartfelt, and reminds me that, while Christmas is a happy time for many, for some it's a reminder of loss and challenge.

"Someday soon, we all will be together, if the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through some how..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move