I Left My Heart You Know Where

Wow! It's been 11 days since my last post, that's probably the longest I've ever gone. But, I have a good excuse: I was in San Francisco without a computer. One week ago today I was strolling the pier of Fisherman's Wharf, contemplating what delicacy would satisfy me that night (frankly, I consider any food that I don't have to cook a delicacy). After three-and-a-half days, which include plenty of sightseeing (but not nearly enough) and great conference for graduate admissions professionals, I headed back on the red-eye via Chicago on Friday night. For the next couple of minutes, though, I'd like to savor some highlights of my great trip!

After arriving around noon last Tuesday, I checked into my hotel, the Hilton at Union Square (no, Annalisse, Paris Hilton was not there), and headed down to the lounge for a quick lunch. After lunch, I went for a nice walk until I reached Pier 1, the Ferry Port, which was about 20 minutes from the hotel. I went into some shops and found a great farmer's market, then arranged to meet some friends for dinner (and got a chance to watch the sea lions at Pier 39). By dinner time, which was around 10pm "my time," I was really dragging. One thing I will say about the time changed: it really kicked my butt!

The really funny thing was that this city reminded me of so many songs that it drove me a little crazy. It all started when I was in the taxi on the way to the hotel, and I saw the sign for "San Jose," (Do you know the way?), then a friend pointed out that Sausalito was just across the bay (Sausalito Summernight - Diesel - 1981...anyone?). And, of course, my pals, after a few drinks, resorted to "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." Simply maddening.

On Wednesday, I had a 1/2 day to explore before I had to check in at the conference, so, after waking up at 3:30am and not being able to fall asleep, my friend Carlos and I headed out on the 9:10 ferry to Alcatraz. I would have to say, visiting Alcatraz was probably the sightseeing highlight of my trip. That place was very cool, and the mood was just right: a dark, overcast, windy, rainy day. The second "touristy" highlight was taking a trolley car. I really enjoyed the walkability of the city, and spent some time browsing the high end shops around the hotel and a stroll though Chinatown.

For the next two days I attended my conference, and caught up with friends and colleagues. We went out for some great meals (I felt a lot of pressure to eat Seafood while in SF, which is not really a problem since I LOVE SEAFOOD), and had a lot of laughs. Because I didn't really have very much time for sightseeing, I definitely would like to visit again to hit the spots I missed, and also to rent a car and take a couple of day trips.

And lastly, alright, I'LL SAY IT, I wish I had brought Mark and the kids along. Although Mark spent five weeks in SF for training when he first joined Oracle in 1996, I knew they would really enjoy all the sights and fun things to do. Maybe next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move