The Maine Getaway

It's been a looonnnnnggg, dark and cold winter, and I - someone who has trouble with winter even under the best of conditions - right about "now" really feel like I need something to look forward to. Most of life is such a grind, with five days of work followed by evenings and two full days of laundry, dusting, vacuuming, and other such uninspiring tasks. It can be a real bummer. Which is why, just about every year at this time, I end up scheduling a vacation or getaway that will restore my sanity and give me something to get excited about.

This year, I booked five days in Portland, Maine, for the first week in July. Sure, it was expensive (we're staying at a really cute B&B right in the heart of the city), and sure, it will go against one of my MAIN New Year's resolutions, which is to become credit free (which we're making great progress on, by the way), but I REALLY NEED THIS. We've talked for a couple of years about going to Maine (we've never been), and it was even hard finding the time to go this year, between Cam's trip to Germany, his job at summer camp, my work obligations, Mark's work obligations, and my desire to not wait until the END of summer.

We settled on July 1-6, which is actually when Cam will be in Germany for his exchange program (June 25-July 15). When I mentioned to him that we were trying to schedule a trip to Maine, his 17-year-old response was, "have fun" - as in, have fun without me. At this stage when he'd rather spend time with friends than five days with his parents and his annoying little sister, we decided to spare him the pain of a family vacation and go while he's abroad. BAD PARENTS! No really, everyone is much happier this way.

So, now I need to focus on finding a fishing charter for Mark and some fun stuff for me and Annalisse to do while he's in his "happy (fishing) place." Lighthouses, shopping, beaches, small quaint towns...I can't wait!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move