Parental Evolution

Isn't it funny how our lives evolve? Lately I've been thinking about how amazing my journey as an adult and parent has been, how we never stop growing and changing, and how we adapt to all the different stages in our childs' lives. At one point we were dinosaur experts, then we knew all the names of Thomas the Tank Engine's friends. We did all the usual "girl" stuff from dancing to Barbies to (the very expensive) American girls stage. We've watched Cameron learn about engineering during the last couple of years at robotics, kept up with styles and music along Annalisse, learned to ski as the kids learned, and now we know more about rowing than we'll ever want, or need, to.

Now Cam is a junior, and our attention is turning toward applying to colleges next year, and all the preparation that goes with his senior year. HIS SENIOR YEAR! How can that be possible? Senior pictures, SATs, college visits and applications are all part of our our "to do" list for the next six months. Cameron has already started the emotional transition, as he is becoming more distant, rolling his eyes a lot, begging out of family activities, and regarding us with general disdain (luckily I've heard that that parents get smarter again around age 22 or 23?).

Really, we only have about a year-and-a-half left with him (full-time) until he's away at college, returning for occasional weekends and breaks. It's very easy to clearly remember when he was a baby, and shake my head, in disbelief, at the cruel passage of time. Somehow, though, we're ready, too, learning what we need to about this new stage in our lives.

Whenever I get aggravated with the kids, or when Mark starts to complain a lot, I have to remind him, and myself, that we really only have them for 18 years. After that we may have them around, but our day-to-day life as a family will never be the same, and that makes me sad. Lately, I've been hearing that line from Carly Simon's Anticipation in my head a lot: These are the good old days. I'm trying to remind myself to be as present as possible, because soon enough these days will be a happy memory, just like the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move