Turkey Time

I CANNOT EAT ANOTHER THING. I haven't been hungry for three days. That totally seems like a 1st world problem, but seriously. It looks like I'm going to be that person who joins a gym after the new year. This holiday eating is already out of control.

Which is among other things to chat about. The house is quiet again and the kids are back at school after Annalisse being home all week and Cam coming home on Wednesday. It's wonderful to have them home, but the time goes too fast. I took the week off with no real plans, although the days seemed to fill up very quickly and on Wednesday we were out all day on a day trip to Ithaca - to have lunch at the famous Moosewood Restaurant, which was awesome for Annalisse as it features vegan/GF fare.  There was plenty of sitting by the fire and binge watching different shows, and not enough book reading, for sure! The week was capped off by an always fun (and delicious) Harvest Dinner at Mary and Larry's. They are great hosts and always go out of their way to make these family get togethers a very special gathering.

I'll tell you, I really needed to disconnect from work during my week off. I resisted all urges to check my email since I seem to always get psychologically pulled back into thinking about things that need to be done when I get back, or issues that need to be resolved even before I get back. I literally just checked my email 1/2 hour before writing this, but only because I need to hit the ground running tomorrow. Ugh. Just one more month before another break. I am already craving sun, a sandy beach, and crashing waves, which are in no way part of my near future. (Although Annalisse is flying down to Alex's family's Florida house on Christmas day to join them for 4-5 days before they drive back to Rochester - LUCKY!)

An update to something I wrote a couple of weeks ago: As a Thanksgiving miracle, Gov. Cuomo and Sen. Chuck Schumer worked out a deal with Alcoa that will keep the Massena plant open with no layoffs for at least another 3.5 years. Such a sigh of relief, but it wasn't a development without its naysayers. Within hours of the announcement town-wide relief was replaced with criticism and skepticism by many negative, small minded people in that town since NYS will be giving Alcoa substantial tax breaks to keep them in the North Country. WHATEVER. These are real people who have have been given a little reprieve to figure out their next steps. Let's home the people of Massena use this time wisely to secure a more realistic economic future that does not rely on Alcoa. I found this a very aggravating and frustrating situation to follow.  Seriously a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't." (Still hoping Mom's house will sell...)

So, into the final weeks of the kids' terms we go. (Me: Get focused and finish strong! Them: Whatever.) Today, being the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I would have usually decorated for Christmas, but that's not happening until maybe next weekend. It seems like I just put everything away from last year. Too fast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move