Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Winding Down with Crew

How could I have not posted about the results of last week's NYS Scholastic Regatta in Saratoga Springs? Oh well, better late than never!!

Cam's crew career is winding down as we head into the final stretch for spring regattas. Last weekend he headed out on Friday afternoon for Saratoga, and we followed (just for the day) on Saturday. OF COURSE, the forecast, after a beautiful, sunny week, predicted rain. The good news is the rain held off until 3:30pm on Saturday, by which time Cam's boat was getting queued up for the semi-final race, having come in fourth out of six for the qualifying race. For this regatta, Cam, who usually coxes the C boat, was moved up to the B boat (there are the A, B, and C boats) as the regular coxswain, Kevin, stayed behind to attend the senior ball.

By 5pm, the conditions were miserable, and Cam's boat finally made its way down the course, having been waiting in the pouring rain for 1 1/2 hours. I was concerned about him as he was already not feeling great from a cold that had plagued him most of the week. It was an incredibly exciting and close finish for second, and we left not exactly knowing if Cam's boat had come in second or third. Mark and I hit the road for the long ride home (in pouring rain...), and Cam texted me a couple of minutes into our trip to let me know they had come in "second by a second," and had advanced to the finals.

On Sunday morning, while we were home dry and warm, the rain continued in earnest in Saratoga. I continued to worry about Cam's health, and, adding to my concern was the fact that he generally would not wear his boots or rain gear to keep dry (teenage rebellion!!). Luckily, for once, he heeded my advice and wore what he need to, and made it through the day bringing his boat in 4th out of 6. Their performance earned the team a gold metal, as they cane in first rated for a "club" (not associated with a high school) team. It was an awesome finish for this big race, which is highly regarded.

Now we have two regattas to go before we wrap up the Baker family crew experience as Annalisse will most likely not rejoin, pursing one of her many other interests. Today Mark and Cam are in Syracuse, which might be underwater because of all the flooding this spring. Rain is predicted all day (naturally), and at least Cam left armed with his boots and rain gear. The question is, though, will he where them?

No comments: