Home Sweet Home

Well, it's coming up on five years since we've moved onto Fourth Avenue. How the time has flown! I remember back to the weeks leading up to our move from that dastardly housing track with the house high up on a hill (the house was nice, but the location - not so much), and the excitement I felt (it was very physical: heart racing, anxiety, the whole ball of whacks - but in a good way!). We came to a Tuesday old car night a couple of nights before the move and had dinner at the restaurant right on the canal (I can't remember the name right now - it's had a couple of owners since then), and I remember thinking, "In a couple of days, this will be 'us'."

Living in the Village of Fairport has exceeded even my highest expectations. I tell people it feels like we're on vacation all the time. There are always things to do, people to see (on the street - especially the dog people we've gotten to know), ice cream to eat...the possibilities are endless. It often feels like we work just to rush home, thrown on our play clothes, eat dinner (or not!) and head out for our walk. And always, we look forward to the weekend for the Farmer's Market and a concert or two around town.

On the street (with great neighbors, I might add) there have been street parties, street sales, bonfires, impromptu get togethers on the porches, and much exchange of baked goods. My co-worker, Linda, who moved to Fairport from Philadelphia a couple of years ago calls it Mayberry. Opie should be heading back from the canal any minute with his fishing pole! (Just don't eat the fish from the yucky canal.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move