Coffee Bean Dreams

I know that I've talked about my dreams of managing a tropical island, and, more recently, buying a quaint English village, but my REAL dream (and anyone who knows me can attest to this) is owing a specialty coffee shop. Yesterday, I discovered my coffee shop location is back on the market. DANG! Too soon!

The location is a stand alone "barn" in Pittsford's Schoen Place/Northfield Commons (see picture at left). Northfield Commons at Schoen Place is a cute little shopping area in the upscale town of Pittsford (a suburb of Rochester), and the building features a lot of open space and a fireplace at the far end. There is plenty of parking and a lot of small shops there (think: bored husband while wife shops...). The working name for my shop is JuJu Beans (credit to Elizabeth), and my ideas for the shop include:
  • Featuring a locally roasted coffee, most likely Canaltown Roasters (because they make my favorite flavor: Jamican Me Crazy Decaf). There would also be the usual selection of lattes, espresso, cappucino, frozen drinks, etc.
  • Superior baked goods - that's one of my major beefs about coffeehouses in Rochester. It's tough to find anything beyond mediocre muffins, bagels and the usual desserts. I would interview several bakers and choose the best one.
  • Great specials - coupons, discount nights, punch cards and lots of marketing
  • A children's corner - for Mommy mornings so they can hang together while the kids play
  • A spotlight on local artists - which would change monthly, including a meet the artist night
  • basic lunch offerings in the form of speciality wraps, paninis, sandwiches, soups and salads
  • Live music - occasionally during the week, weekend mornings (something classic), and weekend evenings
  • Bookclubs - we will host book clubs and offer them a free airpot of coffee for meeting at the shop
  • Mark the Barista - the plan is for Mark to leave his job and manage the shop while I stay at my full-time job for benefits and to plan for the kid's college...at least until the shop takes off. He knows he will need to undergo extensive training (barista and otherwise).
  • Game night and open mic night
  • My dog hanging in the corner - that's part of the dream!

What do you think? Now, if only I would win the lottery...have $100,000 fall from the sky...inherit a bundle from an unknown relative...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move