The Old "Bait & Switch"?

Recently, Wegmans announced that they are lowering prices on hundreds of items to assist their customers and employees during these challenging financial times. Wow! That sounds great and so typical of Wegmans to lead the way with their innovative ideas. It makes people like me really want to shop there in support of our famous hometown grocery store and their efforts help the community.

So, this morning I headed out early to get a couple of things for the week. I was shocked when I checked out to discover I had spent $90 mainly on items for the kids lunches, breakfast stuff and a other assorted groceries that did not include any meat and very few vegetables (I was heading to Skip's meat market and the Farmers Market when I got home for those items). My groceries didn't even fill one of the smaller grocery carts, and I think I only filled two of Wegmans recyclable shopping bags (plus two jugs of milk and a 12 pack of w-Pop soda) for the ride home.


Then I realized something: my grocery tally had very few shoppers club items. I remember a time when I would watch the groceries being "rung up" and many of the items would be followed by the discounted amount. This time around I spent $1.92 on a $90+ bill (the only discounts were on the 2-gallon jugs of milk and the 12-pack of Wegmans brand soda). Could it be that they are able to lower their prices and make up that loss through a reduction in Shopper's Club items? I don't think it's that I chose less items that qualified - I think it's that they are offering the discount on fewer items.


Hmmm...what do you think? Have you noticed the same?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move