A Farewell to LOST

Last night Cam and I stayed up until 11:30pm (on a school night!) to watch the long awaited series finale of LOST. We've watched LOST from the beginning, through the twists and turns, crazy story lines, improbable and unbelievable plots, and a couple of seasons of "what the...?", which I'm sure contributed to its cult following, with viewers dropping off along the way because it was just getting too weird. I, for one, is glad I stuck with it, no doubt due to a little peer pressure from co-workers and friends that helped keep me engaged. But, through it all LOST has stayed loyal to one very important element of any story: the depiction of richly drawn characters that the viewer cared about and felt connected to and invested in.

The finale was particularly touching as many of the characters lost along the way (no pun intended) were joined together through fatefully orchestrated meetings. I'm still trying to understand what the finale meant, and I think my understanding of "what happened" is in the ballpark of what the creators intended. Some people would say if you have to put that much work into understanding something (as mundane as a TV show), then it's not worth it. LOSTies would say, "it's worth it, and then some."

Maybe the main reason I'll miss LOST really has nothing to do with LOST. Will miss sitting with Cam every Tuesday night, just the two of us, watching the show and discussing possible plot theories over the next week until we once again sit down for another episode. It was special Mom/Cam time, bonding over the complicated and many times confusing story lines that characterized the show - a rare chance to spend some quality time together. Thank God True Blood, another favorite of ours, on HBO starts again soon. That being said, I don't think there will ever be another LOST.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move