The Travel Bug

Most of last week was spent in Boston for a two-day conference for work. I arrived early on Tuesday morning and had the day to spend as "tourist" until I had to check-in at 9am on Wednesday morning. I suppose it's a sign of maturity that I thoroughly enjoyed the short walk to Quincy Market, a longer walk on the Freedom trail, wandering around Chinatown and relaxing (by myself!!) in my hotel room. I remember back to 1991 or so when I went to my first professional conference, and was very anxious about the trip - what would I do at mealtime? And what it would be like to be all alone in a hotel room? These days, I really enjoy the solitude of short get-away from "real life" and the sometimes mundane routine that comes from family and work! Are we talking escape, here?!

One of the hot things going around on Facebook these days is the challenge to post a message every day about things we are thankful for. Of course, I'm thankful for the usual stuff: healthy kids, my husband, my home, my job, my extended family, etc. but one of the things I'm REALLY thankful for is that I have a job that allows me to travel to cities that I might not otherwise have the financial means to visit. As a result of trainings or conferences in my previous and current positions, I've been able to go to San Antonio (and Bandera, TX - the Cowboy Capital of the World), Scottsdale, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Denver, Boston, and New York. In April, if all goes well, I'll be heading to San Fransciso. Who could complain about that? Definitely something to be thankful for.

Every trip just reinforces how I wish I could travel more (read: all the time). I think we all have dreams of travel in our retirement but there are two things wrong with that plan: (1) we won't be retiring for quite a long time, and (2) chances are we won't be able to really afford to travel that much.

Remember Cam's trip to Greece, Italy and Paris last year? Well, guess what? Now he's going to Germany in June for an home stay/exchange program through his High School. I'm sure annalise won't be far behind with travel. I've told both kids they should take advantage of study abroad programs when they're in college...hey, maybe we'll finally get a chance to travel abroad to visit them! That's probably what it will take. I can dream, can't I?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move