Well that was interesting...

Another "interesting" week of travel - and the revelation that Cameron is an aethist (Mema: he'll e-mail you about this directly). Apparently it's been weighing on his mind for a while and he called me at work, worried about my reaction, which was: I'm not surprised. Cameron has always been a black-and-white, in-the-box thinker, so I 've suspected for a while he's had some trouble with the concept of God and the lack of proof that surrounds most religion. So, we had a conversation about what his decision means as we go forward ("ground rules") with regard to the religious things we do as a family, such as Christmas and Easter. I also explained to him that being part of a church is not always just about religion - it's also about being part of a community that provides support and sometimes a social outlet. He agreed that he would accompany us to church once a month for this reason - we'll let him choose the day.

Lastly, I told him we loved him no matter what his beliefs, and I asked him to keep his mind and heart open to the possibility in the future that he might be touched by something that makes him believe in God, and he agreed he would. What I believe: I don't think all is lost at the tender, questioning and exploratory age of 15.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Newest Musical Obession

The Week that Was

Bakers on the move